Monday, February 21, 2011

Fireplace Folly: The Remodel of Doom

The KSL reported on a house fire at 2225 Jackson Ave. in Ogden.  The home was completely destroyed.

The home had been remodeled and prepared for renting.  So what happened to start this fire?  Here is an excerpt:

A cleaning crew was working to ready the home for potential renters and found the gas was turned off, preventing them from heating the home. Wood said they asked to use a woodburning stove to keep warm.

...they lit a fire in the stove, not knowing that no chimney had been put in for the stove when the roof was remodeled.

Those pesky details (like having a chimney for your fireplace) can come back to bite you. 

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rehash: Seismic Condo Renovations Update

The well-intended but misguided HB53 came back for a second review by our committee.  The results were the same as last time but I believe our committee was more blunt about their opinions this time around.


My rebuttal starts at 23:44.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fees and More Fees

I sit on the Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee at the State Capitol.  One of the items that we oversee is the fee schedule for the Department of Commerce.  One of the Divisions that falls under the jurisdiction of the DOC, and therefore our committee, is the Division of Real Estate.

Our committee this morning approved a fee schedule for numerous departments.  On that list were three fee changes that affect Realtors:

1.  CE Late Fee - From $0 to $25
2.  Company Name Change - From $0 to $100
3.  Company Broker Change - From $15 to $50

The other 50 possible fees remain unchanged in the Division of Real Estate. 

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

JUST SOLD! Vintage Craftsman Bungalow

I just sold this home at 2044 Jefferson Ave.  An investor purchased the home and will be working to restore it to it's original luster.  Purchase price of $50,000 cash.  This home has good bones and will restore beautifully. 

Stay tuned for the final product.