Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Flashback: The Shupe Williams Candy Factory Fire

A couple years ago my brother-in-law called me up and says,"Hey you gotta come see this fire. The old candy factory is burning." It was really late and I had church the next morning. I told him I wasn't interested and that I had seen house fires before. He wasn't satisfied with my answer and continued, "No. You have GOT to come see this...I will pick you up in two minutes." I had no choice at that point.

The video below is from March 11, 2006. I am filming. Prior to this date there had been a great debate in city hall about the future of the building. The factory was a city landmark and very cool. It was in serious need of restoration. Unfortunately, it was also located directly next door to the local homeless shelter. They were booked up and it was a cold night. Someone started a fire on the second story to stay warm. Click play to see how it turns out.

No comments: