Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Making a Great Fence

I promised you some information on how to make a fence that will last and look great. Here is the handy work from last Saturday:


This fence is made from cedar posts, redwood crossbeams, and cedar slats. All the parts can be found at Home Depot. The hardest part is setting the posts. I mistakenly took the effort to hand mix the concrete for each post in this section of the fence. It took me an hour and a half per post to set. No fun. In contrast, installing the cross beams and slats took me just 3 hours. I have since learned that you can just dump the concrete mix in the hole and run the hose on it to set the posts. I tried that and set two posts in 30 minutes. The rest of the fence in our yard should go up fast as soon as I finish wrestling the Chinese Elms and Tree of Paradise root balls out of the fence line.


One last picture. I really like the contrast of the nice fence against the bombed out porch behind it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did your neighbor help pay for 1/2 the fence or at least bring you lemonade for all your blood, sweat, and tears? Great job on the fence and thanks for the tip on setting posts in case I ever put a fence up. Good luck with the rest of your projects.
Brandon Stanger
Regency Property Management

Ken Coman said...

Nice work Brother Jeremy! Glad to see it coming to fruition.